Haunted By Melissa Tilly Hall

 Compelling, Intriguing, Gripping

Genres: Contemporary Fiction/Historical Fiction/ Romance
Amara still occupied the large house, all these years later, the house she had been born in, since her Father had ceased to own the property. In that time, she had successfully seen off two potential proprietors. It was just her and the others remaining now, and her precious piano. However, the girl had arrived, with her suitor. Amara did not object to her though. She knew that this was where she belonged.
Desiree knew, from the first time she saw the house and wondered around it's vast spaces, that she loved it completely; with its fine furnishings and elegant decor. Almost all of this house, gave her a magical feeling, with the exception of two areas, which evoked the exact opposite emotions. She longed to discover its history and that of previous occupants. She intended to restore the house to it's former glory, and find out exactly why her Grandfather, had not been able to do the same. 👻
I really enjoy a paranormal mystery, having read a few of them now. I also love dual period stories, and this novel satisfied both criteria. The front cover, which initially attracted me to the book, is a perfect representation for what lies inside. This novel was extremely easy to read for me, getting engrossed in this intriguing, well constructed, exhilarating narrative for hours at a time. The story drew me in from the start with it's lively and likeable positive characters (other than Thomas), it was extremely hard to put down.
The feelings evoked by Amara's story were very Waltons-esque, although I know it was set long before. It is a time period that I hugely enjoy in books and films. This helped me to immediately warm to the characters. However, I struggled with being able to imagine Shane's Grandmother and what she might look like. I kept getting an image of a woman of colour, slightly on the larger side. In fact Mammy-Two- Shoes from the Tom and Jerry cartoons. Although, you never see her face, which is probably why I had trouble with Sylvia's identity. Strangely though, even though they were related, my imagery of Shane was very different.
Surprisingly, although I did see forsee the pregnancy, what it lead to, even after Desiree read the letters, was a part of the plot that I did not predict. This was a clever plot twist making the conclusion of their story, even more tragic.
When Shane arranges for work to be done on the house, Desiree's joy is palpable and through the book, her jubilation at her new life & being given the chance at a fresh start with all the added bonuses of friends that she now sees as family, and that fabulous new home is tangible, and very visible within the writing. The big question is, does she leave her old life behind for the one she has been living for months?
The characters were existing in my mind's eye as if they were real people. The Author really manages to breath life into her work The only element of the story that I was a little disappointed in was where Sylvia informs Shane and Desiree that she has been given a letter 💌 from Richard for them. I feel it would have been more endearing to have confined that link to the past to Shane and Desiree only. A letter could have been left marked for their attention.
At this point, I would like to thank the Author for the inclusion of Liz, a character who is confined to a wheelchair after an accident. As a wheelchair user myself, I have hardly ever, if at all, come across any book featuring someone in my position. It put a smile on my face! This book being the first one of a series excites me for what's to come and I look forward to reading subsequent

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The One Plus One By Jojo Moyes

The Last Letter To Your Lover By Jojo Moyes

The Curious Heart Of Ailsa Rae By Stephanie Butland