AOH By Jennifer Renson-Chiapetta

 Comprehensive, Powerful, Insightful

Genres: Historical Fiction/Mystery
Aoh finds herself in the vast and arid dessert in the Middle Kingdom of Ancient Egypt, after an attack on her village has taken place. After what seems like an eternity for someone so young, she is startled to hear what sounds like horses hooves running toward her. Fearing that it may be the same men on horseback who ambushed her home, she hides. Gradually the sound ceases. Then she hears two voices, one male and one female.
It's always a joy when an Author/Writer asks me to read and review their work, but that joy is increased when the request comes from someone with whom I am not yet acquainted, as was the case with Jennifer Rensin-Chiapetta. However, when I clicked on the link that the Author provided, giving me more information about the book, 📖 I wasn't initially sure if this type of story was for me, not knowing anything about Egypt, ancient or otherwise, or possibly, the time period. I had read historical fiction, the furthest back being Victorian, and usually set in Britain or America. However, I am attempting to broaden my reading preferences, and pride myself on never turning down a good read.
There were an initial number of chapters which were a bit of a challenge, but only because I was acutely aware that I was out of my comfort zone, and doubted my ability to grasp the concept laid before me. It also takes me a while to get to know characters. They are a very big part of any narrative for me. I am a big character based reader. Once I was comfortable with the subject, the narrative really picked up pace and became a lot easier to absorb.
Aoh is a strong female character. She has had to fend for herself from a very young age, and is therefore wary of anyone trying to help her. Every time life deals her a blow, she is unwavering in her determination and fortitude to continue. She seems to be slightly more comfortable with women than men as the story develops, although there is still that element of cautiousness. Her interaction with others, is always met with a certain degree of suspicion except those she knows she is of a similar generation. The man that she liberates is someone she initially looks up to, probably as she sees him as a safe and secure father figure. I would like to see how that dynamic develops.
Aoh's encounters with Tygrmm would maybe be interesting to follow up on, if the Author chooses to pursue it in her next book.
Both Queens in this, comprehensive, captivating and Intriguing novel appear to be quite unhinged. Queen Huriyae with her snakes 🐍 and obsession with conquering lands, and the Pharoah's wife, incensed with jealousy and betrayal. 💔
I kha'y, Senmet and Sefk are definitely the stooges of this tale. The High Priest, Vizier and General, are all hell bent on the protection of the Queen, their beloved Egypt, and safeguarding their positions. But how far will they go to accomplish these objectives?
The meticulous detail and knowledge of that time, spoke of the Author's dedication, to what is clearly her passion, and this is profoundly communicated within her writing.✍
I am extremely glad to have had this opportunity to both, read this wonderful piece of writing and meet the Author, and I am greatly looking forward to reading the sequel.
May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'JENNIFER RENSON AOH oH'
See insights and ads
All reactions:
1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The One Plus One By Jojo Moyes

The Last Letter To Your Lover By Jojo Moyes

The Curious Heart Of Ailsa Rae By Stephanie Butland