The Salt Path by Raynor Winn

  Inspiring, Adventurous, Thought Provoking

Genre: Memoir
The Salt Path by Raynor Winn 🐬🦭
Having been through a lengthy and expensive court battle and lost, not only that but, their self-respect, friendship, their home and their livelihood, they conclude that the only option that is now open to them is renting council accommodation and looking for gainful employment. Furthermore, after months of Moth complaining of pains in his shoulder and general aches in his upper body, an appointment with a doctor the following day reveals the biggest shift in their lives yet. Deciding that seeing out the rest of their lives in a rented flat is not for them, and taking inspiration from a guide book on walking that they uncovered whilst sorting through boxes, they decide to embark on a 630 mile hike along the South West Coastal Path of Britain. Against doctor’s advice, having very little funds and considering the changeable elements of the Great British Weather, what were they thinking? Were they making the right decision, and what challenges would they face?
I saw that a friend was reading this some months ago, read the synopsis and decided to give it a try, as whilst I am not particularly interested in the geographical elements of their story given that my lifestyle doesn’t really lend itself to me ever being able to see these places other than in books and on TV/social media, and I certainly would never be able to attain this kind of achievement, I am interested in people’s lives, the psychology behind random and seismic decision making and thoughts, and particularly anything that involves health, given that mine is a daily battle. To say that this story is an inspiration, is putting it mildly. What leads them to take on such an achievement had me despairing as they do seem like a couple who have floated through life on a wing and a prayer, but sometimes that works for people, and in this case it was the right call. It would have been interesting to have been able to find out what kind of adults their children were, having been raised by two people who, whilst they worked hard to get where they were, seemed to handle life’s ups and downs without too much concern.
As I have said the geographical elements to their journey (literally) I found difficult to connect with, as I have never been one for holidays or going away due to logistics. However, I did recognise places that were mentioned as their journey began in Minehead in Somerset. I am from Somerset. I got a particular thrill when they mentioned Glastonbury and their visit to the spiritual and mystical area, prior to commencing their travels, to visit the fairies for guidance, with Moth far more sceptical than Raynor. I was brought up in Glastonbury and it made me smile. Taunton where they are ‘dropped off’ is also a town I know well.
Along the way, Moth experiences a case of mistaken identity, they get picked up by the Army on manoeuvers, Moth entertains the crowds in Cornwall, they swim with Dolphins, are amused by three rather elderly and wrinkled men sunbathing in the nude, and then meeting a man taking his tortoise for a walk (not a euphemism!). As well as their physicality, they gradually find that the experience changes them in ways they weren’t expecting as people. Raynor reveals that all the time spent with only her husband of thirty-two years for company has made her intolerant to large crowds and noise, plus she finds that it is possible go through a number of noses when spending several days in high temperatures and no sun cream. Moth proves the old adage that keeping going can be good for you, with a few wobbly moments along the way when they begin to question the sanity of taking on such a test of endurance. Will he make it to the end? You only have to google to find out, but I hope you don’t because I did and regretted it.
Raynor includes a lot of detail about places they stop at on the way so if you’re familiar with towns and villages along the South West Coastal Path then this is definitely the book for you. However, I enjoyed it for the elements for which I bought it and it brought a story and two people to my consciousness of which I was previously unaware and I don’t remember it registering back in 2013 when it actually happened.
My only small disappointment was whilst I loved their descriptions of stopping at Weymouth (another town I am familiar with), although not so much Raynor’s graphic descriptions of a sickness bug, I was frustrated that they didn’t actually go on to visit Portland which I adore. They did at the time vow to go back to the places they missed, I think largely to shorten the time due to Moth’s health, but I have yet to discover whether they made it to the Isle that I love.
The strong over-riding message that comes across overwhelmingly in their story is one of love, friendship, admiration and loyalty. One of my favourite conversations between the couple is when Moth insists on telling Raynor what he wants to happen when he dies, but I won’t spoil it. It brought a tear to my eye.
Thanks to my friend Jacqui for highlighting this wonderful memoir. In turn, I have recommended it to others, and I hope that they take the time to read it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The One Plus One By Jojo Moyes

The Last Letter To Your Lover By Jojo Moyes

The Curious Heart Of Ailsa Rae By Stephanie Butland